12826847

I have got into trouble with a shop, what do I do? I foolishly

I have got into trouble with a shop, what do I do?
I foolishly pinched some sweets from a shop and got caught. I could not deny it as they had seen it. I don't know why I have been doing this, other than I have been feeling quite depressed and alone recently.
The shop has banned me now, but not reported me. I felt terrible, and made myself sick over it. How do I rectify this act of stupidity? I considered phoning or writing to the store manager and giving some money to cover the costs. What do you advise? I am feeling so terrible, and feel so small like a little kid now. What do I do to make it up to the shop, and promise to them it will never happen again?
I am not sure what you hoping to achieve ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I wanted to be able to apologise for my stupidity, and make amends. So that at some point I could be forgiven and my ban be lifted. I've put myself in such a shameful position.

Did you cause them any loss?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Only a packet of sweets. I can repay them several times over with an apology.

Are you sure it will not be reported to police? What value were the sweets?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, they said that it would not be reported to the police on this occasion. The sweets were 70p.

Didn't they get the sweets back?
Were they in saleable condition?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, they didn't get them back. I didn't have them on me.

They actually may send you a civil recovery notice demanding some £200 odd in compensation. They do not have a claim in law for any more than the sum of their loss so these notices are unenforceable. However if you want to make amends then you can always pay it.
Alternatively, you could write to them apologising and offering to pay their loss. You can always ask them to reconsider the ban. In truth, it is unlikely that they would but they could be asked.
Ultimately you cannot force them to allow you to return. They are a private establishment and can choose who to debar in their discretion.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help in this matter, you have provided mw with some good advice. I will try to write to them to see what they say, and offer them some money.

I'm sorry I've had to write to you about this matter, which I find very embarrassing as it was such a stupid childish piece of behaviour.

I hope I can get some kind of resolution, as I am very ashamed about it. Thank you for your assistance, and hope I never have to ask you again about anything of this nature.

No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/