How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70508
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I issued proceedings against my sister 8 years ago. and nearly

Customer Question

I issued proceedings against my sister 8 years ago. and nearly 6 years ago, at mediation, we agreed a settlement that was put in a Tomlin order (she was to give up her part ownership of the family house, that I had previously paid her for, and transfer me £25,000).
Nothing has happened. If I now wish to enforce the Tomlin order, do I need to make an application to the court before 6 years is up, in order not to be barred by the statute of limitations, or does that not apply to a Tomlin order?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

Once there is a court order the Limitation Act does not apply BUT the court can refuse to enforce if it thinks parties have delayed without reason and one party has suffered prejudice as a result.

I would enforce as soon as possible or get an agreement not to defend any enforcement proceedings in the future on grounds of delay

Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo - Thank you very much for your succinct and thorough answer to my question. Rather than employing a solicitor, as before, I'm thinking about employing a barrister direct to help me sort out this problem. Would you recommend this? Regards ***** *****

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Any chance of a reply to my small follow up question of 7th Nov?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
It is generally cheaper.
It depends what you want them to do. Barristers under public access cannot deal with litigation. If it is just a court application that you want then a barrister under public access is a better deal generally.