How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34034
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My Ex-Huband is threatening to claim money from my property.

Customer Question

My Ex-Huband is threatening to claim money from my property. The property was bought solely in my name, he has never been placed on the electrol register but we were married when i bought the property. He has carried out some of the works on the property and is insisting i give him £10,000.00.
He does not pay child support for his previous daughter and owes the CSA £17,000.00 and he was declared bankrupt in 2010.
I have been advised he is entitled to half of the equity, but i have also been advised i can do a prediction of child cost on an average £125pw my daughter is 5yrs and prediction is he will not pay for her or maintain relations with her (based on his previous daughter) for the next 13yrs which equates to £84,500.00 which is more than the equity.
Is this true ?
If so, how do I go about the cheapest way of finalising this, i have not recieved a solicitors letter or court proceedings but he threatens this on a regular basis, i am now divorced from him and now want financial matters resolving.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you lived together, how much is the house worth and what other assets are there?
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He is self employed and has been in and out of work for 6 years, He had his own business which went in to administration, resulting in him being made bankcrupt april 2010. The relationship has been volitile, he now has a domestic violence order issued against him following his threats.

I am full time, employed by the NHS earn approx £32,00.00

I bought the house for £165,000 and is worth £190,000.00 again mortgaged and payed by myself, mortgage is £121,000.00 I have debts in my name which we ran up together of £17,000.00 again all of which i pay alone.

We have lived on and off together for 5 and a half years, he was removed from my property by the police in march 2014.

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
What were the debts used for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Some personal and some spent on the property doing up house, i did have more debts but i have reduced them buying selling a car in which i had in my name for him.. I now have 2 loans of around £8,500.00 each

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
A five year relationship does give your ex a claim on the former matrimonial home especially if he has dome work on the property - however not 50% or anything close.
His claim is on the net assets - which appear to be £50,000 at most.
The division he has asked for is 20% of the equity seems rather more than the family court might award in the circumstances - 10% might be more reasonable
I am afraid that you cannot set off future child maintenance against this - the issues are separate I am afraid.
Please ask if you need further details

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions