13262538

My Ex-Huband is threatening to claim money from my property.

Customer Question

My Ex-Huband is threatening to claim money from my property. The property was bought solely in my name, he has never been placed on the electrol register but we were married when i bought the property. He has carried out some of the works on the property and is insisting i give him £10,000.00.
He does not pay child support for his previous daughter and owes the CSA £17,000.00 and he was declared bankrupt in 2010.
I have been advised he is entitled to half of the equity, but i have also been advised i can do a prediction of child cost on an average £125pw my daughter is 5yrs and prediction is he will not pay for her or maintain relations with her (based on his previous daughter) for the next 13yrs which equates to £84,500.00 which is more than the equity.
Is this true ?
If so, how do I go about the cheapest way of finalising this, i have not recieved a solicitors letter or court proceedings but he threatens this on a regular basis, i am now divorced from him and now want financial matters resolving.
How long have you lived together, how much is the house worth and what other assets are there?
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He is self employed and has been in and out of work for 6 years, He had his own business which went in to administration, resulting in him being made bankcrupt april 2010. The relationship has been volitile, he now has a domestic violence order issued against him following his threats.

I am full time, employed by the NHS earn approx £32,00.00

I bought the house for £165,000 and is worth £190,000.00 again mortgaged and payed by myself, mortgage is £121,000.00 I have debts in my name which we ran up together of £17,000.00 again all of which i pay alone.

We have lived on and off together for 5 and a half years, he was removed from my property by the police in march 2014.

HI
What were the debts used for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Some personal and some spent on the property doing up house, i did have more debts but i have reduced them buying selling a car in which i had in my name for him.. I now have 2 loans of around £8,500.00 each

A five year relationship does give your ex a claim on the former matrimonial home especially if he has dome work on the property - however not 50% or anything close.
His claim is on the net assets - which appear to be £50,000 at most.
The division he has asked for is 20% of the equity seems rather more than the family court might award in the circumstances - 10% might be more reasonable
I am afraid that you cannot set off future child maintenance against this - the issues are separate I am afraid.
Please ask if you need further details