Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I'm trying to get a kitchen company to finish my kitchen after

I'm trying to get a kitchen company to finish my kitchen after eight months of cracking floor tiles and electricians not turning up and loads of excuses why we have to keep waiting for the job to get finished. Do I have any legal way to get the job finished and get some compensation for the very long time I've been inconvienienced ??
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Did they give you a timeframe when you made the order to have the kitchen done?

Customer: The kitchen was finished in a few weeks , but the floor tiles started to crack after a month and now we are on to the third floor but still keep making us wait weeks for every little bit of progress. We ring them they say they will do the job then we wait and end up chasing them again and again ...
taratill :

Ok so there is no issue that they accept responsibility for the flooring?

Customer: Yes , they have tried to fix the problem , the first tiles were put down on boards that were to thin and then the second lot cracked and the company said that the tiles were unsuitable so they put some different tiles down on third floor , but now I'm finding it hard to get the last bits finished. There is some plastering and a skirting board to replace , the work could be done in a day but they keep having excuses , like the tiler hasn't been in touch , or they are trying to find a skirting board ...
taratill :

Ok you need to send them a letter before action to say that if the repairs are not complete within a certain timeframe (say 14 days) you will be left with no alternative but to have the work done else where and pursue them for your losses in connection with putting the work good in the County Court. Under the Supply of Goods and Services Act you have the right to expect that the work is of a reasonable quality and is fit for purpose. If it is not then you can bring a claim. Obviously they do not dispute that they need to do the work but should not keep you hanging on for ever and a day. You can also contact trading standards and get a reference number.

taratill :

Hopefully taking such steps will encourage them to put matters right without you needing to do this.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. lf I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.