Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I gave a dog, on trial, to a man known to suffer allergy. He

I gave a dog, on trial, to a man known to suffer allergy. He wanted to see if he could cope with a dog or if he would get an allergic reaction. I told him that if he got an allergic reaction I would have the dog back. The man has given the dog away. He did not advise be of his intention. He did not tell me he had suffered an allergic reaction. I asked him to get the dog back for me. He told me no. He said the dog was his. Do I have any rights to get the dog back?
Jan McCulloch
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Did you have any sort of written agreement with him and did he pay you for the dog?

Customer:

No, he was recommended to me through a friend. I trusted his word. He did not pay for the dog. I have a witness to the agreement.

taratill :

So was there any payment made in respect of the animal?

Customer:

None

taratill :

Ok so what do you want to do with the dog now ? Do you want to keep it yourself?

Customer:

He has given the dog to third party. i do not know where she is. I want her back.

taratill :

Ok you should write to him to say that you gave the dog to him on trial and at no point did she own the dog or have the right to give the dog away to him therefore you would like the dog returned. You should state that if he does not return the dog you will take legal action against him. In reality this will be quite difficult. You could contact the police but they are likely to consdier it to be a civil matter, given that the dog was given to him on loan. If you know the value of the dog you could bring a breach of contract/ agreement type claim against him in the civil court. If you have a witness to what was agreed then this will help you.

taratill :

If you have any further questions about this then please do ask.

taratill :

If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.