I purchased a return air ticket from Dublin to Sao Paulo for my wife with a firm called Travelgenio.com. She was to depart on Dec. 27th and return 4 weeks later. She now has to undergo an operation and I have been in contact with the firm asking to cancel the flight and instead provide her with a flight on April 26th. next. I paid just in excess of €1,000 for the original flight. However they are unwilling to change the flight or to provide me with any refund. Do I have any rights in this situation??. Many thanks for your help. I did not take out insurance when I was making the original booking as I already have travel insurance.
I did not take out travel insurance with this company as I already have travel insurance.
Their terms and conditions state: "Wherever the airline and selected tariff allow for modification, cancellation, refunds or voluntary reissue by request of the user Travelgenio will charge an additional administrative fee to be added to the fees established by the corresponding airline. In such cases it is the sole responsibility of the user to request any modification, cancellation, refunds or voluntary reissue by contacting Travelgenio directly during its opening hours. they will then be informed about possibility of granting their request and about any possible fees or administrative steps".
I paid by credit card - visa.
The operation is not very serious - but if its cancelled there would be a long delay so it's best to go ahead with it.
The 4 month delay is in order to give my wife time to fully recover from the surgery.
I do not understand why they are not willing to facilitate me in any way
This should be covered by your existing insurance or by the credit card company on which you paid for the ticket.
You are going to need something from the doctor however that confirms that if this is not undertaken now there would be a delay and you are going to need something from the doctor which advises no travel for a 4 month period.
The latter could be problematical if they insinuate that the reason for the protracted delay is not because of the operation but because it suits your schedule better. It is true that if you have to cancel because of the operation you may not be able to reschedule straightaway in any event so there may be a further delay of several months but do be aware case it is raised by one of the insurance companies.
It may be that there is something in the terms and conditions of the travel company which allows such kind of postponement although it would be quite unusual for that to happen with under eight weeks to go until travelling but nonetheless do check the terms and conditions.
Meanwhile, take this up with your own insurance company and also with the credit card company.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Thank you for your support in this matter,