UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hello, I have had a letter from Getty Images saying that

I have had a letter from Getty Images saying that I am using a photo on my website that is being used without a valid licence and that I owe them £1045 for it's usage. I was totally unaware of this as it was a third party who produced my company website. This photo has been on my site for the past 12 years and this is the first time that I have been contacted about it.
Is there any legislation that can protect me from this?
Many thanks,
Pauline Hackett
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

I am afraid there is no legislation to protect you.

If Getty Images owns the copyright in the image on your website and it was used without their permission, it will be copyright infringement and the fact that you have used it for 12 years only makes the matter worse rather than say had you used it for 12 months.

You may contact your website designer to see if they are willing to assist you with this matter although the primary responsibiloity is yours.

You may try and work out what you would have paid in royalties to Getty Images if you had purchased a licence from them to use the image and then see if it is anywhere near the sum demanded.

You may try and negotiate a lesser amount with Getty Images or you may dispute the entire amount in which case they could take you to court and obtain judgement against you.

May I help further?