LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

How many years do you have in the uk to make a claim for loaned

Customer Question

How many years do you have in the uk to make a claim for loaned money not repaid by a friend?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I ill try to help you with this.

Customer:

There is no time limiit in terms of residence in the uK. If you have an agreement and it has been breached you can bring a claim.

JACUSTOMER-dq92mlxq- :

So, even if my friend owes this money to me from 10 years ago?

Customer:

Can you just explain the position for me please. There are different periods in which a claim must be brought it will fall foul of the statute of limitations. If you tell me when the money was lent on what terms and when you realised he would not repay you then I will be able to help.

JACUSTOMER-dq92mlxq- :

My friend is an estate agent. The first time he took money from one of my tenants for the usual security deposit which was not returned to me in lieu of the tenants bounced check for landscape services.

JACUSTOMER-dq92mlxq- :

The second time was based on my friend paying a bail bond of 10.000 on my behalf which i paid him back for.

JACUSTOMER-dq92mlxq- :

However, the bond money was then re issued to him because he paid it to begin with. So he was paid the bond money twice, once by me and once from the authorities. Altogether he owes me 12,000.He still runs his own estate agency but simply keeps telling me secant afford to pay anything .This has been going on for 6 and half years.

JACUSTOMER-dq92mlxq- :

He owns his own property and has a business and makes an income and after all these years i now feel he does not intend to pay anything at all.

Customer:

The usual time limit for bringing a breach of contract case in the UK is that it must be commenced within 6 years of the breach occurring or becoming apparent. The date from which the 6 year limitation period is not always clear and the law is quite complex in this area.

Customer:

Do you need any more information from me? if so please ask. If not I would be grateful if you would rate my answer as I will not get credited for my answers if yo do not do so.