LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I made a county court claim against a couple who owed me money.

Customer Question

I made a county court claim against a couple who owed me money. They then counter sued me. Unfortunately mediation failed yesterday. We have a court date set for November 21st. I have however now decided that I would like to stop my side of the claim. Please can you advise how I do this and will I still have to attend court on the due date. Many thanks.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

Even if you withdraw your claim the Defendant's counterclaim will continue. ie if you drop your claim the defendant's can still seek money from you. How much money is at stake and which trac (small claims, fast trak ect) is thus in?

Customer:

I am busy with my children on and off this morning but will get back to this site later today.

JACUSTOMER-tbwaexs3- : I was claiming £2300 against the couple but they have now counter sued me for £33,000. We are due to attend Guildford county court to the small claims track. As I said I now want to drop my claim against them but think they Re keen to continue. No court fees have been paid yet and as I don't want to proceed then it will be down to them to pay the fees?
Customer:

is that counterclaim £33,000 or is that a mistype? That should not be in the small claims court.

Customer:

am busy with my children on and off this morning but will get back to this site later today.

JACUSTOMER-tbwaexs3- : Yes they are claiming £33,000 from me and it's definitely at the small claims court.
JACUSTOMER-tbwaexs3- : please advise as to how I withdraw my claim and will I still have to attend court in the 21st November?
Customer:

Even if yo withdraw you will need to attend at court. With this level of money involvled you need to see a solicitor face to face. As far as withdrawing your claim is concerned you should contact the Court directly, either by email, letter, fax or telephone. If you are withdrawing your claim you should also confirm that you have notified the defendant.

Customer:

Do you need any more information from me? if so please ask. If not I would be grateful if you would rate my answer as I will not get credited for my answers if yo do not do so.