Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

My 17 year old son has recently moved in with me after

Hi, my 17 year old son has recently moved in with me after being kicked out by his mom and step dad. When he was born he was registered in my surname on the birth certificate. Since then his name appears to have been changed a couple of times from Stack (My surname) to XXXXXXX (my ex's maiden name) to XXXXXX (my ex's married name). We are now at a point where we need to apply for a driving licence for my son but first need to apply for a passport, unfortunately we don't know what name to put. How do we find out what his legal name is? I remember agreeing verbally to the name change to XXXXXX so he felt a part of the family when he was with his mom but never signed anything. I look forward to hearing from you. Phil XXXXX

Expert:  Michael Holly replied 2 years ago.
Dear Phil
For the passport he will need to provide his birth certificate. As you cannot establish whether your son's name was formally or informally changed since then provided he is happy to have the surname Stack go with the documents you have. Life is complicated enough without making it more difficult and even if there is a change of name deed somewhere it is not a problem as he is not applying for the passport in that name to defraud anyone or for other illegal purpose.
I hope this helps. If there are any further points please reply.
Best wishes
Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael

Thank you for your quick response. Some how his national insurance number paperwork has Taylor on it and an old passport that is long out of date has Edwards on it. Should this make any difference to us applying for a new passport using his birth certificate?

Phil

Dear Phil
Ah, the passport office will need to tie up the names because of the previous passport. Your son is likely to have this problem in other areas. The easiest solution is to get a Statutory declaration prepared which recites the different surnames and that he is one and the same person. That way the statutory declaration can be used whenever this arises. A local solicitor should be able to knock one up at a reasonable price.
Best regards
Michael