UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi I'm making a workout DVD and I'm wanting to add music. If

Hi I'm making a workout DVD and I'm wanting to add music. If I add a DJ mix of songs will I be liable for copywriting charge?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
You will need permission from the copyright owner of the derivative work I.e. The DJ mix will have a copyright owner and you should contact the copyright owner to see if they can allow you to use their work for free or whether there is a royalty payable.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It would be a mix from a DJ that I know but he would be remixing songs that he does not own. Would that class as his intellectual property or the song owner, even if he has changed the tempo etc?

If his work is significantly different from the original version, he will own copyright in the remix and can allow you to use his work royalty free.
However he may have infringed the copyright of the original copyright owner of the work if he remixed their work without permission.
Hope this helps. Please leave feedback