75100385

Hi again,My mother-in-law has the house nextdoor to her.

Hi again,
My mother-in-law has the house nextdoor to her. She rents it out to several individuals - whilst they all seem to know each other they are not related, i.e. it isn't one single family. The house is a standard three bedroom semi-detached, with a single bathroom upstairs and a kitchen downstairs.
As far as I am aware, there only one Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement for all of them. I don't know if the people currently living there are the same ones that signed the tenancy agreement. I don't believe my mother-in-law has any deposits protected, and I don't think she has a valid gas safety certificate.
I guess my question if really about how easy it would be to regain posession of hte property when my mother-in-law dies. The tenants aren't english so their knowledge of law is probably negligible, but they could for example refuse to move out unless forced to. What powers in law do we have to evict the occupants if/when my mother-in-law dies?
Thanks,
Ed.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thats fine, I'm happy to wait.

Thanks,

Ed.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
If your mother in law dies then you can give the tenants notice to quit.
If they refuse to leave then you can apply to the court for possession. You would need to complete form N5 -
http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n005-eng.pdf
The court would then list the matter for hearing and decide whether to order possession. Based on what you have said the court is likely to order possession.
If they don't move then you can send in bailiffs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for this.

What I need to clarify in detail is my ability to apply for possession when the people living in the property may not be on any tenancy agreement.

My Mother-in-law allows them to live there because they are quiet, don't mistreat the property, and they pay the rent.

You have said that I can give the occupiers notice to quit, but if they are not on a tenancy agreement, can they delay the proceedings or even have a case against my Mother-in-law?

Sorry to be picky but I really want to make sure as much as possible that I can get rid of the occupiers if I need to.

Thanks,

Ed.

It makes no difference whether or not they have a tenancy agreement.
You need to serve a notice to quit and then issue possession proceedings if they fail to vacate.
Does that help Ed?
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience