29905560

Hello there. My name is***** am bullied at work by my

Customer Question

Hello there. My name is***** am bullied at work by my supervisor for 2 years now. I am tired and I want to do something about that. What would be the first thing to do.
Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?
JACUSTOMER-94kfi3xy- :

Hello, I am working there for 4 years

JACUSTOMER-94kfi3xy- :

Hello?

Ben Jones : Hi sorry my connection dropped earlier, have you raised anything formally about these issues?
JACUSTOMER-94kfi3xy- : No, I didn't .
Ben Jones : Bullying is unfortunately something that happens all too often in the workplace. The Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS) defines bullying as “offensive, intimidating, malicious or insulting behaviour, an abuse or misuse of power through means that undermine, humiliate, denigrate or injure the recipient.” Whatever form it takes, it is unwarranted and unwelcome to the individual subjected to it.
Ben Jones : Under law, specifically the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, an employer has a duty to ensure the health, safety and welfare of its employees. In addition, they have the implied contractual duty to provide a safe and suitable working environment. That includes preventing, or at least effectively dealing with bullying behaviour occurring in the workplace.In terms of what the victim of bullying can do to try and deal with such problems, the following steps are recommended:
Ben Jones : 1. First of all, and if appropriate, the employee should try and resolve the issue informally with the person responsible for the bullying. 2. If the above does not work or is not a viable option, the employee should consider raising a formal grievance with the employer by following the company's grievance policy. This formally brings the bullying issue to the attention of the employer and they will have a duty to investigate and deal with it. 3. If, following a grievance, the employer fails to take any action or the action they take is inappropriate, the employee would need to seriously consider their next steps. Unfortunately, employment law does not allow employees to make a direct claim about bullying. As such, the most common way of claiming for bullying is by resigning first and then submitting a claim for constructive dismissal in an employment tribunal (subject to having at least 2 years' continuous service with the employer). The reason for resigning would be to claim that by failing to act appropriately, the employer has breached the implied terms of mutual trust and confidence and failed to provide a safe working environment and that there was no other option but to resign. However, this step should only be used as a last resort as it can be risky, after all it will result in the employment being terminated.
Ben Jones : In general, a victim should try and gather as much evidence as possible before considering making a formal complaint and certainly before going down the resignation route. As bullying often takes verbal form, the best way is to keep a detailed diary of all bullying occasions so that there is at least some reference in written form that the employer and/or the tribunal can refer to.
Ben Jones : hope this clarifies your position?
JACUSTOMER-94kfi3xy- :

Hi, I have evidence for last 2 weeks and witnesses as well. Is that enough to send letter to manager?

JACUSTOMER-94kfi3xy- :

If I will give you details could you help me with that letter, please?

Ben Jones : That can certainly be enough, anything can be sufficient, even your own allegations. However we do not offer a drafting service unfortunately, we are just a Q&A site