UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hello, my husband placed an order for some car wheels at the

Customer Question

Hello, my husband placed an order for some car wheels at the beginning of March this year. The order was cancelled - this was confirmed by the company by email. However the transaction amount, £328, has been taken twice from the company on 3rd March (we have bank statements confirming this). We never received any goods from them. I am about to make contact with the company as the bank say they are not able to assist due to it being more than 120 days since the transaction took place. Is there any legislation I can use if the company do not agree to make a refund? Thanks.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

There is no specific legislation and the best option for you would be now to file a court claim online against them at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

asking for your money to be paid back to you plus interest at court rates plus the court filing fee.

May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
This is a simple issue of contract. They are just plain in breach. Whether or not the cancellation is something they are happy about is another matter but they cannot deduct twice.
However, do not issue immediately. You have to be really careful about doing that as it exposes you to the risk of costs. Judges get really annoyed if people do that.
Send them one letter giving them 14 days to repay. Specify the exact amount and what has happened. Make clear that in default you will sue for the sum plus costs and interest at 8% per annum.
If they fail then you can issue safely but it won't come to that.
Also, if this is a credit card then you can ask your card providers to reverse the transaction and claw back the sums.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks very much - I am going to speak to them today, if they agree to refund us then that will be great but it's useful to know we have some recourse if not. Unfortunately it was a debit card payment so I know that gives less protection than credit card. My query was answered twice so thanks to you both - I only seem to be able to rate one answer but they were both excellent.
Would you mind confirming which answer you found more helpful?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yours, Jo C. It was more specific. Many thanks.
Thanks very much.
All the best.