75100385

is writing a factual e-mail challenging a parish clergyman

Customer Question

is writing a factual e-mail challenging a parish clergyman harassment in the Republic of ireland
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

As long as it is factually correct, ie what you are saying is true then it won't be harassment

Alex Watts :

If you were for example, saying he was a thief, this would be a different matter

Alex Watts :

But if what you are saying is true, then you can not be pursued for this.

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-wn19kfx0- :

I received an opinion that if I did not accuse him of anything falsely I did not harass him; however there was no reference to the IRELAND STATUTE on harassment - I wrote that I had read and found no reference to harassment in a private e-mail; however l but law is complex as we know. An opinion of a solicitor /barrister carries no weight, especially as he cited a solicitor and the Gardai- Irish State police- to threaten me.

Alex Watts :

NON-FATAL OFFENCES AGAINST THE PERSON ACT 1997

Alex Watts :

10. (1) Any person who, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, by any means including by use of the telephone, harasses another by persistently following, watching, pestering, besetting or communicating with him or her, shall be guilty of an offence.

Alex Watts :

So no, this is not haraassment

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

JACUSTOMER-wn19kfx0- :

That I read that in the actual law - wondered how my clergyman could invoke legal and police authority to threaten me with harassment. Thank you.

Alex Watts :

Unlikely. The Police will investigate as they will have a duty to do so

Alex Watts :

But they are unlikely to take action based on what you have said

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify?