UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My mum's husband has just died recently on the 5/11/2014 and

Customer Question

My mum's husband has just died recently on the 5/11/2014 and she has applied for help with her rent and rates, she handed over all documents but the council want to know her bank sort code and bank account number. Do they have to know these or not?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Yes, they require these details as they usually pay the benefit directly into her bank account.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I received your answer to my question, thankyou, but its my fault, the council said the benefit would be paid straight to my mum's rent account that she already has with the council, the advisor that my mum spoke to lastweek said she just needed to see 2 up to date statements from her bank then everything would be sorted out automaticaly but the woman that we seen today insisted on seeing my mum's sort code and bank account number although i told her that no benefit money will be paid in to my mum's bank account it will be paid straight on to her rent account automaticaly

It may well be that the council is trying to verify that your mother does not have capital or savings in excess of the 16k threshold in that case which is why they asked for the 2 recent bank statements.
In any case, the bank statements will have your mother's bank account and sort code.
Hope this clarifies