12826847

my cat wntt missing for 4 months, when he turned up again he

Customer Question

my cat wntt missing for 4 months, when he turned up again he has been micro chipped, the person who had it done refuses to change the details into my name, what can I do?
Is he a pedigree cat?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No he is a plain little black/white cat street moggie.

Have you got physical possession of the cat?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

That is fairly bad news I'm afraid.
You cannot force them to change the micro chip details. A micro chip does not proven ownership. The micro chip companies do not get involved in disputes of ownership. You have to go to court for that.
What you can, of course, do is have him microchipped again with your details. Lots of animals are microchipped twice.
All that would mean is that if he were lost and found two micro chips would be found and you would be contacted but you can get around that entire problem by ensuring that he wears a collar with a tag with your details on it. People who find animals that are wearing tags just phone the number on the tag rather than racing down to a vet to have them scanned for a micro chip that might not be there.
if this is a moggy with no legal value then they are not going to sue you for a declaration of ownership and unless they do none of it makes any difference as you have the cat.