Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Hi, I exchanged contract and sold my flat on 31/10. Today I

Customer Question

Hi, I exchanged contract and sold my flat on 31/10. Today I received letter from buyer's silicitor stating that bathroom floor is completely rotten and might have spread to another rooms.
They are suggesting that I knew about it as 2 tiles are loose. Where do I stand legally? Should this be picked up by their survey? What should I do?
Thanks,
Monika
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Provided you have not deliberately concealed matters/lied to the Buyers about the sate and condition of the floor (which you have not), you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

A Buyer purchases a property in its existing condition, and is under a duty to satisfy themselves as to the condition of the property, before exchanging Contracts. A Seller is under no obligation to disclose the state and condition of a property to a Buyer, who must rely on their own Survey. Therefore, even if you knew (which you didn't) that the floor was rotten, you would not have been under any duty to disclose this tot he Buyer, unless they had specifically asked the question in correspondence via their Solicitors.

The Buyers Solicitors are therefore just trying it on with you. Their only potential claim is against the Surveyor who carried out the Survey!

I hope this assists you and answers your question.

Kind Regards

AL

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your help. I don't have any additional questions at the moment.

Thanks Maria!