Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

what does the law say about placing sleeping babies in carry-cots

what does the law say about placing sleeping babies in carry-cots on back seats, strapped in with seat belts?
Expert:  Jenny replied 3 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.

taratill :

The law is clear that a child below 9kg must be seated in a rear facing child seat when on a car journey.

taratill :

The only exception to this might be if the child is disabled and a doctor supports an argument that the seat is harmful to the child.

taratill :

There are other limited exceptions such as for unexpected journeys and taxi rides.

taratill :

The penalty for failure will be with the driver and could be an on the spot fine of £50 or the driver could be taken to court and fined up to £500.

taratill :

If there is anything further you would like to know about this please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

Customer:

so just to be clearer still, a carry cot made safe with carru cot seat adaptors is not lawful?

taratill :

correct. The infant must be in a rear facing car seat or the drive will risk a fine.

Customer:

thank you