Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I am an ex police officer and i left the police force 19 years

I am an ex police officer and i left the police force 19 years ago after an injury on duty. At the time the personnel department at police hq required full copy of all my medical records. I was assured these records would be kept safely at police headquarters and only accessed by the police surgeon with responsibility for my assessment. I was also assured they would never leave the possession of the police. I have since learned the GP acting as police surgeon at the time had it written into his contract that when he left as police surgeon he would be allowed to take my medical records with him with a view to receiving payment from the police should they wish to access them at any time in the future. I feel totally betrayed by this as i feel i have been purposely mislead and have lost control over my own very personal medical records. What can i do about this very distressing situation ?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How has this come to your attention?

Customer:

Hi jenny this came to my attention when i had a pension review with the current police surgeon. I was asked to sign a form to enable him to obtain my full medical records when i informed him they already had these he then disclosed to me what had happened to them he seems to think the previous police surgeon had been very clever to do this as he said as much. I on the other hand was almost speechless and could hardly believe what i was hearing as it contradicted everything I had been assured would happen to my medical records

taratill :

Have you put in any complaint about this?

Customer:

I contacted the police federation and to be honest felt completely fobbed off by them. I was told they had received phone calls from other ex officers regarding this but that basically there was nothing I could do about it as the police force had done nothing legally wrong. I was also left in no doubt that it was best not to "rock the boat" as i am still in receipt of my injury enhanced police pension. I am slightly ashamed to say they did scare me off as i have been unable to work since my injury and do rely on the pension I receive. That is as far as i have taken things at present however i have received a general letter sent to all ex officers saying that are once again reviewing injury pensions and have decided i need to know for sure where i stand. What if they demand medical rcord disclosure again etc. But also if I have any support in law for what has already been done with my records

taratill :

Hi one thing you can do is to report this to the Information Commission as it does not come in any of the normal exemptions relating to the Police Force as it is your personal information and nothing to do with Police Activities. It is clearly a breach of the Data Protection Act. Full details of how to raise a complaint can be found at www.ico.gov.uk. It is very unfair that you have been threatened not to raise this complaint in the way that you have.

taratill :

If you have any further questions about this please do ask. If i have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

Jenny, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only