UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am a dry cleaner. customer has brought a garment back after

I am a dry cleaner. customer has brought a garment back after a year complaining it has shrunk. surely there is a time limit for complaining
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
The time limit for contractual or tort claims is 6 years so the customer is within the limitation period.
However, it is up to the customer to prove that you were responsible for the shrinkage and I do not see how they will do so after all this time.
You may simply deny being responsible for the shrinkage and ask them to prove that the garment shrunk as a result of your negligence.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

could you please tell me how to put this into words without offending the customer.

Dear customer,
I am sorry but we do not accept being liable for the purported shrinkage to your garment. It was a year ago since your garment was cleaned and the shrinkage could have occurred as a result of the quality of the material or for some other reason.
Unless you are able to prove that we were responsible for the shrinkage, we regret that we cannot be held liable for it.
We value your custom and thank you for your understanding.
Yours xxxxx