LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Our neighbour in the flat below us has a bay window with a

Customer Question

Our neighbour in the flat below us has a bay window with a flat roof. This roof area has a small stone decorative wall. Unfortunately the area acts as a trap for rainwater and this has caused a leak into his flat. There is an outlet pipe for draininage but it is inadequate and water does not always flow out freely.
Our neighbour insists that this area is our responsibility and calls it our "balcony" although we have no immediate access to it and have certainly never used is as such. He therefore insists that the drainage issue is our responsibility and wants us to pay for remedial work. Please can you advise?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

I think yo should look to your lease and see what that says about responsibility for repairs to external problems like this. Very often these will be the joint responsibility of everybody in the building as all the flats have an interest in keeping the exterior of the whole building sound.

JACUSTOMER-tg00pmrt- : I got this information for free by just calling a solicitor's office this afternoon. In fact, he gave ne even more advice about where to look in the lease agreement and how to understand the legal jargon. Paying £38 for your two sentences is very disappointing.
LondonlawyerJ :

Well what does your lease say about it? How can I possibly answer your question if you don't tell me the actual situation?

JACUSTOMER-tg00pmrt- : I am flabbergasted by your tone.What happened to common decency and a gentle request for additional information?
JACUSTOMER-tg00pmrt- : If you had asked, I would happily have provided more detail. However your response seemed the final word on the issue and the system prompted me to rate my answer. I sincerely ***** ***** this service in the first place and certainly resent your aggressive and discourteous response.