LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I've just received an email from the police asking me to arrange

Customer Question

I've just received an email from the police asking me to arrange a meeting. The son of a friend has accused me and an ex-partner of raping him when he was a child back in the mid 90s. As far as I remember neither my ex-partner or I were ever alone with the child and from what limited contact I've had with the family (I moved abroad for work some years ago) I suspect the young man in question has had some mental health issues.
The tone of the policeman's email puzzled me. He said my ex had been arrested yesterday (a quick look at Facebook suggests he's at the theatre tonight so obviously not in the cells) and the policeman said I should get in touch when I'm next in the UK early next year (I'm working in Iraq now).
What do I do now? I have to treat this very seriously. I haven't been able to contact my ex to learn what they said. Worth mentioning that the young man's mother is a very senior Social Worker and the allegation relates to the period 1991-1997 which makes me think the allegation covers that whole period. The policeman said they have a photograph of me at a New Years party in 2007 with the accuser - one of the 3 times I can remember having contact with him or his family over the past 15 years.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

I'm in shock about this - do you want to see the email chan

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

emthread?

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

sorry - email thread

LondonlawyerJ :

Sorry my longer answer just got deleted. Yes if it is not too long.

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

4 emails = shall I cut and paste it here?

LondonlawyerJ :

yes pelase.

LondonlawyerJ :

I will be away from this site for the next hour or 2 dealing with my children but will look in again later.

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

Mr MILLER

I’m hoping this is the correct email address for you and was given to me by Eryl WARD who is the mother of Michael CLOUGH.

I’m currently investigating an allegation made by Michael and need to speak with you urgently in England at a Police Station. If you can contact me please as soon as possible to make these arrangements.

Kind Regards

DC 796 ***

This is the correct email address. I don’t live in the UK now though and have had very little contact with the Cloughs over the past 15 years. If you’ve got any questions though, I’ll be happy to oblige,

Regards,

***

------------

***

Thank you for the quick response. I need to speak with you officially in the UK, on tape and under caution. **** your ex-partner was arrested yesterday for the same offence which occurred between 1991 and 1997. You must have seen ****in 2007-2008 because I have a photograph of you with him in that year at a new years eve party.

Are you coming over to the UK in the near future?

Kind Regards

***

--------------

Yes, I remember spending the New Year at Michael’s in Scarborough on a visit to England and again at Michael’s civil partnership. I don’t recall much about Michael Clough though = am I suspected of something and if so what?

***

----------

**

He has accused you of Raping him!!

So as you can appreciate I need to speak with you urgently.

**

--------------------

Wow.

That’s serious - also absolutely untrue and a huge surprise.

I’ll be happy to come and answer any questions, however I won’t be in the UK for a while since I’m in the Middle East at the moment. I’m due back sometime in the New Year. Do I need to get a lawyer and how seriously is this being taken?

Thanks,

***

-------------------

**

I would advise that you do get a solicitor for the interview and once you know when you’re coming back to the UK just let me know and we can arrange it.

I cannot discuss anything further regarding the allegation will talk to you when I interview you.

Just so I know can you confirm your date of birth please, I’ve been given *****

***

---------------------

No - it’s*****

Yes, I think I’ll speak to a solicitor due to the seriousness of the allegation. It’s completely bizarre *** must only have been a kid then too. The Cloughs were old friends of Michael who used to come to dinner sometimes however not that often and I don’t remember them ever leaving any of their kids with us unsupervised. I can believe a lot of ****, but not this, and I’m extremely angry that I’m being implicated too. It’s worth mentioning that during that time, Eryl was a Social Worker with child protection experience.

I’ll contact you when I come to the UK. Please keep me informed if there are any developments that you think I should know about

Thanks,

***

-----------------

***

Ok, thank you for your time and will see you in the New Year.

**

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

Let me know when your back - I'm in a different timezone, but I doubt I'll be having an early night :-(

LondonlawyerJ :

Ok thanks for that. You need to arrange to talk with him when you com back to this country. You must also make sure that you have a solicitor when you surrender to the police. You may well be arrested. You will be entitled to free legal advice either from a solicitor of your choice or from the duty solicitor. The solicitor will be able to find out what the evidence against you in in advance, speak to you privately before the interview and advise you how to handle it and he will be with you in the interview.

LondonlawyerJ :

You are right the tone of the emails is a little surprising but make no mistake this is a very serious allegation and the officer will be looking into this seriously. You should not discuss anything about the allegation apart from logistical things about when and where to attend. There is no rule preventing you discussing things with the other person suspected but be aware that anything you say to anyone about this could be used as evidence against you so be careful.

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

very serious

LondonlawyerJ :

Your ex may well have been arrested and then released on police bail.

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

neither i or my ex were ever alone with any of their kids

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

what do you think about the tone of the mails?

LondonlawyerJ :

Don't be fooled by his tone into getting into a friendly conversation with the officer.

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

i did wonder

LondonlawyerJ :

I think he is puttting on his nice face so that you agree to come in to talk to him.

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

the family by the way are extremely respectable people

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

can they force me to go in?

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

meaning arrest?

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

i don't have a uk address but i do visit family several times a year

LondonlawyerJ :

This will be difficult but apart from what your ex may tell you there will be nothing you can do to find out what is alleged until close to yo interview.

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

i looked at a few websites (obviously - it's all i can do from here) and one said that a lawyer can find out some details beforehand - is that correct?

LondonlawyerJ :

Yes you can be arrested for this. If you are in the UK and don't contact the officer then arrest is likely.

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

so i'd better go - I won't be in the uk until late jan or early feb - I wonder if that could be a problem?

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

i could make a trip back in early dec but it would be very difficult

LondonlawyerJ :

I doubt it as long as you are open and clear with the police.

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

that's good

LondonlawyerJ :

That last reply was before your last question.

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

aha

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

thanks for your advice - a strange and horrible situation

LondonlawyerJ :

ie no need to make a special trip in December.

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

thanks

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

a quick last question - how do i find a good solicitor in leeds?

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

thanks

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

you need to answer, even a goodbye so i can press submit

JACUSTOMER-rshbkclb- :

it won't let me accept however I don't want to duck out of paying - if there's any problem with it coming through, let me know right away

LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience: Solicitor with over 15 years experience.