Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Hi there i am looking for advice concerning my friend whom

Hi there i am looking for advice concerning my friend whom has been employed with a company for the last 9 months. he had an agreement verbally that because of football commitments he would have every saturday off and work every sunday instead. This has now just been changed by his new boss for no apparent reason. they have said that he can get every saturday off then his contract would be reduced to 24hours or if he was to start working a saturday then he could have a 40 hour contract which he does just now....i understand that because he hasnt been there 2 years they can dismiss him but it seems unfair that just out the blue they want to change what has obvioiusly been working fine for the last 9 months ....can yo advise if there is anything he can do to sort this.....
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Does his contract have a notice period in it and set out the hours of work?

Customer: Its just one months notice flexible 40 hours but no one elses hours are changing just his
taratill :

I understand this is just to do with the football but does he have reason to suspect there is any other element of discrimination such as on the grounds of sex, race, religion, disability, age or for raising a health and safety or other complaint?

Customer: No he is very good at what he does and is sales on a sunday show this! They are not changing anyone elses hours just his, he feels that its worked for the last nine months so why all of a sudden is ot changing now and to give him the ultimatum that if he wants a sat his hours will be reduced to 24 or he can keep his 40 hours but he needs to work a sat seems unfair
taratill :

Hi the problem is, as you identified in the question that his employment can be terminated for any reason in the first 2 years of employment. This means that if he refuses to do this he can be dismissed. The reason I asked about discrimination was that the exception to this is if the termination/ treatment is for a reason contrary to the Equality Act 2010. Unfortuantely this does not seem to be the case.

taratill :

I do agree that this treatment is very unfair but UK employment law is very weak in the sense that it does not provide adequate protection to employees in these circumstances with less than 2 years service.

taratill :

I am really sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

taratill :

All the can really do is appeal to the employer's better nature.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.