LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

hi Last Friday my little puppy was attacked and killed by

hi
Last Friday my little puppy was attacked and killed by aggressive dog.can not even find the words to describe the behavior of the owner of this dog. When my puppy was dead and I was completely helpless and terrified that the dog will attack me as well, the owner just kept saying that he did not hurt me until I got a panic attack when she took him on a leash. not even said sorry, she left me there alone with my beloved dead puppy as she left she only said "Take her home, bury and plant some flowers on her grave"
This event was a huge trauma for me and my husband and as a result of my problems related to mental health worsened. Due to an frequent panic attacks I got sick for four weeks, I received additional medication and I was directed to psychotherapy.
I can not allow to the owner of the dog that killed my puppy did not suffer the consequences. I know that law regards ***** ***** and the owner could face a criminal prosecution in this kind of situation that`s why i have reported it to police and dog warden but could you tell me Can I sue the owner for moral damages and damage to mental health? If yes do you have any lawyer contact details who can deal with this case?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

If, as is almost certainly the case, the owner of the dog has acted negligently or recklessly, in failing to control their dog leading to the fatal attack you describe then you may have an action against them. However it is unlikely that the courts would award much, if any compensation to you. The courts take a hard headed view about compensation for emotional trauma and upset and award very small amounts of damages. If you can prove worsening of a medical condition then you might have a more substantial claim. This would be difficult to prove however and you would need to pay for medical reports etc.

LondonlawyerJ :

You have reported the matter to the police and if there is a prosecution and conviction then you can be awarded compensation as victim of crime by the sentencing court under The Powers of Criminal Courts Act. The best approach might be to keep in touch with the police so that yo know what is going on in the case and maybe to provide a victim impact statement to the police which can be taken into account at sentencing.

Customer:

Thank you for your help