Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Hi I purchased an advanced LCD lighting system for my kitchen

I purchased an advanced LCD lighting system for my kitchen 2 years ago. It cost £1500. Now most of the lights have failed and I will have to completely replace it. I have purchased other identical systems for elsewhere in my house that have last for 6 years so far and they are still going so the kitchen lights were obviously a faulty batch. I have gone back to the company that supplied them and they have a) changed their name and b) refused to replace any lights as they are out of warranty.
Now I realise that I cannot expect an infinite warranty but if the product costs £74 per unit, they are inherently not consumable items.
Advice please?
***** *****
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. When you say the company has changed its name do you mean that the original retailer no longer exists.

Customer:

I've just checked and the company has been dissolved. it was a Ltd company so I don't thing that there is anything I can do.

taratill :

Yes sadly that is right. If it was not dissolved then you would be able to claim against them under the Sale of Goods Act even though the lights are out of warrantee. In the circumstances you will not be able to.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.