Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

my grandaughter turned in for her shift at the happy pie company

my grandaughter turned in for her shift at the happy pie company this morning and was told she was no longer wanted. they said staff cutbacks, but have taken on new staff recently. a new owner came a couple of weeks ago and told them all their jobs were safe.
can they do this without warning ?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long has she worked there for?

taratill :

Hi why have you rated bad service I haven't had chance to answer yet? Before I can help you I need to know how long she has worked there for?

Customer:

she has worked there for 7 months

taratill :

Ok thanks, ***** ***** give her any reason at all and are they planning on paying her notice?

Customer:

i really do not know she is so distressed.

taratill :

poor thing it is a terrible thing to happen. Unfortunately UK employment law does not assist her much in this situation as employers can terminate employment for any reason in the first 2 years of employment so long as it does not discriminate against her on the basis of age, sex, race, pregnancy, relgiion, disabiliyt or she has not been sacked for raising a health and safety complaint then there will be little she can do.

taratill :

She is entitled to be paid notice which will be what is in the contract or a weeks pay. She is also entitled to receive a payment in lieu of outstanding accrued holiday.

taratill :

If she is not paid these she should write to the employer to ask for them and if they still do not pay then she has the right to raise a claim in the employment tribunal.

taratill :

If you have any further questions about this please do ask. if I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer . Thank you and all the best.