UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

Family of Settled Person (10 Year Partner Route)

Hi, I'm currently on a Tier 4 Student VISA and with a spouse who is a British Citizen, I was told to apply for a Family of a Settled person VISA through to 2-year route but unfortunately I'm not in full time employment nor do I have the recommended amount in savings.

I've just been reading about the 10 year partner route as an option without financial obligations but the eligibility says I must be in a situation where "there are serious reasons you and your partner can't live together as a couple in another country".

We have reasons why we don't want to live in another country, but I wouldn't say they are serious reasons, just a matter of preference and personal ambitions. Please what constitutes serious reasons, would I be refused the visa if I have no serious reasons? Thank you for your prompt and professional response

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.
Does your apart of you not earn £18600 gross? Even if your incomes were to be joined together?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Thanks for your response. No please, she's also studying at the moment and will only begin working next summer.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
If you do not meet the requirements for a spouse visa and as you mentioned there are no serious or compelling reading for you not to return to your home country, then I do not think you will be issued your visa, as the home office will think you are simply trying to use the 10 year family life route to bypass meeting the financial requirements.
There is no harm in you trying to submit an application under the 10 year route but I would suggest that any such application will be refused as the home office are very strict in granting a visa under the 10 year route.
You would be better off extending your current visa and apply once both you and your partner are earning £18600 gross.
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
I hope this answers your question if so please provide a rating so I can get credited for my time.