LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

i purchased a vauxhall meriva from a reputable company in july

Customer Question

i purchased a vauxhall meriva from a reputable company in july (bought on finance).
in the last 3 weeks the car has been undrivable to a fault (code 68)coming up on the screen.
3 times the car has been taken to the garage of which i have got it back the same day saying the problem has been sorted,
the 3rd time they have found a fault which they say now needs a part manufacturing (6 to 8 weeks to make and thats before delivery and fitting).
my wife and i have lost all confidence in the car and have asked to terminate the deal.
i have passed a letter saying just this to the garage and they have also got a fax from the finance with the outstanding figure .
i am awaiting a response from the garage as they say they are mulling over the figure and will come back to me with options.
what can i expect as i want to move away from the garage and shop elsewhere.
thank you.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

How much did yo pay? How old is the car? Is there a guarantee?

JACUSTOMER-j2oky56y- :

Paid £8895 for the car (12 plate)

JACUSTOMER-j2oky56y- :

Sorry should read 8995 and finance have quoted 8850 to close agreement.

JACUSTOMER-j2oky56y- :

I have made 4 monthly payments of 191.51 up to now the last of which was paid yesterday and the car has been sat at the garage for over 2 weeks now.

JACUSTOMER-j2oky56y- :

I do have a courtesy car .

Customer:

I am busy at the moment with my children but will get back to you later this evening.

JACUSTOMER-j2oky56y- :

Ok no problem.

JACUSTOMER-j2oky56y- :

There is a Warranty on the car. Not sure but at least 12 months.

Customer:

Ok so yo paid quite a lot for the vehicle. When you purchased the car you were entitled to purchase a car that was satisfactory, as described and fit for purpose for a reasonable length of time. For a car of that price it does not seem that you have purchased something that fits the requirements of Sales of Goods Act 1979 set out above. You should be entitled to return the car and get a full refund.