LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I own a semi-detached house with my own sideway. However,

I own a semi-detached house with my own sideway. However, the house next door is an older style, end of terraced house. It has no side entrance and the only access to the outside wall is via my property. The owner of the downstairs flat (and freeholder) has arranged to have the whole of this wall repointed and I have agreed (reluctantly) to allow the erection of scaffolding in my garden. A small shed will have to be moved and the work is anticipated to take 3 weeks. I wish to be a co-operative neighbour, but the landlord hasn't even asked if I'm OK about the disruption it will cause me, and has arranged the whole job through the upstairs flat owner (they have shared responsibility for maintenace). Am I entitled to any kind of compensation for all the disruption I will no doubt suffer?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Can you just confirm that you own the whole of the house you live in and the house next door with the work to be done is divided into 2 flats? U think that is the case from your question but I am not entirely sure.

LondonlawyerJ :

I think that you are not entitle to any compensation unless there is exceptional disruption or negligence causing excessive problems for you. The time to discuss compensation was in advance when he was asking you to use your land for hs scaffolding. Then you could perhaps have tried to negotiate but as long as the work is carried out in a workmanlike manner at reasonable hours and more or less within the time frame agreed there is no claim for compensation available for you.

Customer:

Thank you. I can confirm that I own my house. I am not really concerned about getting compensation; I really just wanted to know my legal situation as to whether my neighbour has legal rights to enter my property in order to gain access to the side wall o his house.