Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Hi My father has just passed away, we had not been in touch

My father has just passed away, we had not been in touch for a few years but we did meet again frequently when he went into hospital
my step-sister made all the funeral arrangements and i have just found out that my brother and i are not beneficiaries of his will,
I believe that when his second wife died he made his will then and probably wasn't thinking straight and i believe all his estate will go to our step-sister and step-brother and their children,we have not been given any information except that the will is with a solicitor
Are we entitled to view our dads will even though we are not beneficiaries, we are very disappointed that his estate will go to his step children and we are not included, it is strange!
Can you advise please?
thanks
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am afraid that a Will is, initially,a private document, and only the beneficiaries and Executors are entitled to see it. However, if and when Probate is granted (Probate will be required if your Father's Estate is worth more than £5,000), the Will becomes a public document and memebers of the public are entitled to a copy for a nominal fee. Application needs to be made via the post to Leeds Probate Registry.

Depending on how involved the Estate is, Probate is normally granted between 3-6 months after the date of death.

I appreciate your disappointment concerning the situation, but I'm afraid there is little you can do to dispute the Will/make a claim against your Father's estate unless you were financially depenedent on him, which I don't think you were. On the basis that a Solicitor prepared the Will, it will normally be cast iron.

I am sorry my Answer is not perhaps the news you were expecting, but I hope I have set out the legal position and assisted you.

Kind Regards

AL

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Debbie.

If you are happy with my answer, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.

All the best

AL