Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I offered a sum of money as showing my 'good faith/goodwill'

I offered a sum of money as showing my 'good faith/goodwill' only, when we had to delay
completion on our house sale for 4 weeks as we had been let down on our purchase. I did this to say 'sorry, we'll complete in 4 weeks. I offered to pay for 2 weeks rental, they paying the other two weeks. I paid them 2 weeks, now they are sueing say they want the lot i.e 4 weeks! where do i stand?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Was this offer made in writing via your Solicitor? Have you now exchanged COntracts?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

AL

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no it was an email sent to my estate agent.we have now exchanged and completed, the buyers saw my estate agent a verbally accepted the 2 weeks of rent, but have now changed their minds and are taking me to court!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi any views yet?

Sorry for delay.

Well, you have absolutely nothing to worry about!

Only if you had offered the 4 weeks payment, in writing by your Solicitor in correspondence with your Buyers Solicitors or ideally inserted as a condition in the Contract, would this be enforceable.

As all you did was offer the 2 weeks payment via the Agents, it is questionable whether this was enforceable, but to ask you for 4 weeks rental is ludicrous!

I really don't know who, if anyone, has advised them to take you to Court over this, but they don't stand a chance.

I hope this puts your mind at rest.

Kind Regards

AL