Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

A hall wall light with a sealed glass bowl (Halogen lamp inside)

Customer Question

A hall wall light with a sealed glass bowl (Halogen lamp inside) exploded when I switched it on in my hall - on the way to the toilet at 0230hrs, I was injured - rendered unconscious - with cuts, chipped teeth and broken glasses. The lamp was sold to me by BEM East Barnet - it is of European Manufacture "Gobo" - marked "CE" - UK Sold Distributer is "avoiding" emails etc. Says it came from Hungary. I am 84+ male, I'll! Dental damage severe - abscesses - one upper tooth eventually extracted - ongoing - new expensive extensive denture required but mouth has to "settle" - may be ok by April 2015. I understand that the "CE" indicates the goods are safe! Also the type of goods are regularly in show rooms - as sealed glass lamps - for bathrooms etc. So others my explode! I have photographs and the remains of the wall globe + lamp shank! Well most of the remains! In addition my hall required redecorating! And should I replace the wall lamp with the same model? Or buy new ones? Accident Solicitors seem to eventually decline to act!!!
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Alex Hughes : My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
Alex Hughes : Please could you clarify exactly how you were injured? Did the lamp fall on you?
JACUSTOMER-nei0jvmw- : It was a wall lamp - I had two in the hall of my flat - to go to the "loo" from my bedroom at 0230am I had to switch on the lamp . The wall lamp - a sealed glass globe - exploded - the plosion left me unconscious on the floor with my injuries of course. The remains of the wall lamp were on the wall - the sealed glass globe contains the
Alex Hughes : I'm very sorry to hear that. Just to clarify when did this incident happen?
JACUSTOMER-nei0jvmw- : April 2014
JACUSTOMER-nei0jvmw- : Help - where are you? I replied at 8.33 pm that it was " April 2014". - my screen says " expert is : typing
Alex Hughes : There are two claims here: one is in respect of the faulty lamp in respect of which you are entitled to make a claim against the retailer BEM for compensation for the cost of replacing the faulty lamp, cost of damages and repair. This right is under the Sale of Goods Act 1979. The second claim is for personal injury but such a claim will only succeed if you can prove negligence. To do this you will probably need an expert to examine the lamp and give a report in the fault and explain why the explosion happened. Negligence is difficult to prove in these cases because any number of things could have resulted in the explosion e.g. faulty wiring, power surge. But the bot***** *****ne is that in order to identify who is at fault you will need an expert to conduct an investigation.
Alex Hughes : The mere exploding of the lamp is not necessarily evidence of negligence or faulty product or defective product. But if you can establish that the lamp was faulty/defective thrn you could have a claim against the manufacturer. A leading firm of solicitors who deal with these claims is Slater and Gordon whose website is here: www.slatergordon.co.uk
Alex Hughes : They work on a no win, no fee basis and will discuss the claim and advise you on your options for making a claim.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.