12826847

Hi, I have just come across your website and thought I would

Customer Question

Hi, I have just come across your website and thought I would give it a try! I am interested in building either a garage or log cabin at the end of my garden. From what I have read if it is to be a residential outbuilding I will need planning permission. I am a Landlord with an HMO Licence who actually lives in the same property and I host students nearly all year round. What I would like to do is to build an outbuilding which I could sleep in sometimes and give up my room to host more students. The problem when I have tried to find out online if this is possible I am often directed to the "sheds in beds" articles which are mainly negative and used for a totally different purpose for what I want to do. From what I have read on certain websites if an outbuilding is to be used for residential purposes I will need planning permission which the council confirmed by email. I have copied the email I sent to my council today which explains a bit more and although the council did reply saying I would need planning just directed me to another website! My question is what are the chances of my application being accepted or will I just be wasting my time and money. Any honest advice that you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks Marcus "Dear Sir/Madam, I have read your "planning portal" website and am still not sure if I need planning permission as my query is a little different. I am currently a Landlord who only has the one property which I also live at and I host students all year round. I consider myself a responsible Landlord as I have a HMO (Houses of Multiple Occupancy) Licence and hence meet all the fire, health and safety regulations. What I am thinking of doing is to build either a garage or log cabin at the back of my garden. The purpose of this is for me to at least sleep in over the summer months and give up my room for students to earn some extra income. The building would also be used as storage, an office and a relaxation room with a sofa and tv. Now I know that there has been so much recent negative publicity at so called "beds in sheds" which is mainly to do with rogue landlords renting out these "sheds" to tenants in cramped and squalid conditions which often fail to meet the most basic legal requirements. I consider my situation to be totally different to these rogue landlords as I definitely have no plans in renting it out and would actually be sleeping in it myself over the summer months and possibly longer if I am busy with students. I would also still have access to the main house for washing and cooking facilities although I wouldn't mind installing a toilet and basin in the garage/log cabin if the plumbing allows it. From what I understand from your website the building should be less than 30 square metres which is fine. If I did go ahead with this it would not be until the second half of next year and am only just thinking and doing some research at this stage. Any help or advice that you can offer me would be greatly appreciated."

Just thought I would let you know that it was Harrow Council that I emailed as I am not sure if all Councils have different criteria.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for your message.

Yes I am ok to wait for an answer from a Professional.

Please let me know if you require any further information to assist you with your search?

I hope my initial question was clear in what I am requesting?

From my understanding I am ok to build an outbuilding within the certain guidelines such as within 30 metre square if it is not to be used as a residential building.

However if I wanted to use this outbuilding for myself to sleep in I would need planning permission even if I am not renting it out and it is just me the Landlord who sleeps in there.

What I want to know is what are the chances of this planning permission being approved or am I just wasting my time and money on this route considering all the negative publicity about rogue Landlords and the "beds in sheds".

I look forward to a Professional reply.

Marcus

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I am still ok to wait for a Professional to assist me. If you think that you are unable to find one then you can just refund me.

Marcus

Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As it seems you are unable to assist me with my query then I will accept your offer of a refund.

Please confirm when you have processed the refund.

Marcus