LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I was interviewed 3 weeks ago by the police of a crime I haven't

I was interviewed 3 weeks ago by the police of a crime I haven't committed.. The only evidence they had was a music cd insert cover which was in one of the vehicles broken into. The area where the crimes were I have never been to. The police rang my work today to speak to the security manager about CCTV footage of the entrance and exit of the holiday park where I work and live. The CCTV footage doesn't go back to 31st august. I have worked all my life and I have a good job, I'm worried of being sent to court of a crime I haven't done, based on a music cd insert cover..
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this.

LondonlawyerJ :

I am not sure what you are asking here. Can you tell me what offence you are suspected of please?

Customer: The crime I have been interviewed about is car breakins on the 31st august in an area where I haven't been before, I was interviewed 3weeks ago based on a music cd insert cover found in one of the cars. At the time of the crime I was at tattershall lakes country park where I work and live, it's about 20 miles from the crime area where iv never been before.
LondonlawyerJ :

Ok did you have a solicitor at the interview. Am I right in thinking that you are on police bail to return to the police station at some point in the future.

Customer: No I didn't have a solicitor as I have never been in this situation before, so I didn't think I needed one. I'm not on bail as I have not been arrested or cautioned.. It was a recorded interview and after the interview they just said we will let you know the out come. They told me not to worry as they were just following procedure on any evidence.. How can I not worry..
LondonlawyerJ :

Was this an interview under caution? ie t the start did they say "you do not have to say anything but it may harm your defence etc.

Customer: Yes, not till the interview did I know why I was there. Iv never committed a crime in my life and I can't believe I'm in this situation. I'm afraid.
LondonlawyerJ :

If you were not arrested and are not on bail to go back then it may well be that the evidence against you is not strong. If yo have witnesses to the fact that you were somewhere else at the tie of the offence it may be worth contacting them to jog their memories so that they will remember it later if needed. Get something in writing and signed if possible. Apart from this there is probably nothing you can usefully do. I i snot a goo idea to chase the police officer to find out what is going on. It may not be easy fro you to do but the best thing to do is nothing as far as the police are concerned. Let sleeping dogs lie and hope you never hear of it again. The more time that goes by the less likely you are to hear about it again.

Customer: When the officer rang my work today, to ask about CCTV footage which we don't have going back to august.. He did say that it was the last thing he needed to check on his investigation so he could go back to cps.. I'm worried about going to court on such weak evidence which is a moveable object.
LondonlawyerJ :

Getting work cctv is probably an attempt to check your alibi, but if it isn't retained as far back as necessary it is unlikely to be helpful.

LondonlawyerJ :

Were you arrested because your fingerprints were found on he cd cover in the car in question?

Customer: I wasn't arrested, they contacted me to go and see them about an incident, when I went to the station I was interviewed under caution and then they proceeded with questions. They then showed me why I was being questioned, which was a Now 77 music cd insert cover, not the case or the cd. Which was in the car in question. Iv never been to the area where the cars were broken into, and I told them this at the interview.
LondonlawyerJ :

Why did they connect you to that insert cover?

Customer: Because when I was a teen I was over the limit driving and they took my prints, I'm 37 now and I work very hard at my job as a manager. I don't commit crime.
LondonlawyerJ :

That doesn't prove you were in the car, this is a portable item that you may have touched when it was not in the car. If they want to i/v you again you should have a solicitor present. You will be entitled to a free solicitor of your choice or the duty solicitor.

Customer: That's because I was at home at the time of the crime after 11 hours at work. The music cd came out in 2010, in the last for years iv worked in many places around the uk in bars, restaurants, holiday parks and iv socialised at parties. I know I haven't done anything and I know where I was at the time of these crimes, I have a fear of being falsely accused as you hear about this happening all the time.
LondonlawyerJ :

The case against you does not sound strong. You simply have to wait and see what happens there is nothing you can do. My hunch is that it won't go anywhere but if you need to go back to the police station get a solicitor.

LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience: Solicitor with over 15 years experience.