LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

my girlfriend left me 4 years ago and didn't want her fridge

Customer Question

my girlfriend left me 4 years ago and didn't want her fridge or washing machine, she has now contacted me and wants her stuff back what rights does she have?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.

Customer:

Can you tell me a bit more please about the circumstances in which she left and the relationship before that. Did she say that she didn't want the fridge and washing machine when she left. Was any thing about them in writing?

JACUSTOMER-aol9nk7t- :

Thanks - she left me as she was unfaithful its my house i brought with my mother and she lived there for 1 year, she brought the fridge and washing machine, nothing was in writing but she has the receitpts. She left me just over 4 years ago and at the time she said she didnt want anything other than the few personal possessions she took at the time. she has now informed me this week she wants money for her stuff else she will take me to court.

Customer:

I think she has no basis for this. By saying she didn't want anything other than a few specific things she has abandoned her things and effectively given them to you. However it will come down to her word against yours and if she brings a case she might be believed over you if she invents another version of events. What is the value of the things she now wants?

JACUSTOMER-aol9nk7t- :

The value is second hand so probably around £150 for both as they are 5 years old

Customer:

OK she could only bring a claim in the small claims court then and could not get an order for legal costs against you. She would have to prove that her account is probably true. On what you have told me you have a valid defence. She has left them with you for 4 years which is a fact that I would think would help you. If she has put her demand in writing reply telling her what actually happened and that she abandoned them with you/gave them to you whichever you think is more accurate and tell her that of she issues proceedings you will defend her claim in court. Do you think she will actually issue a claim against you or is she just trying to shake you down and bluffing?

JACUSTOMER-aol9nk7t- :

I think she will as she knows how to go online and do this by herself as someone else has just done this to her - would it be best to offer her the money for the items second hand as it stands now or not, as i dont want to go to court and end up with court costs?

Customer:

You could do that but if you do make sure that it is clear that it is done as a goodwill gesture and that yo do not accept that her threatened claim is right. Just in case.