UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

My wife is from Ecuador, and has had a UK Residence Permit

My wife is from Ecuador, and has had a UK Residence Permit marked "Settlement, Indefinite Leave to Remain". She has used this in the past to return to Ecuador for short trips and re-enter the UK.
She had booked a trip to Ecuador this coming December 6th, returning December 30th.
However, last week, she became a UK citizen, and has a "Certificate of Naturalisation".
We are now worried that she may not be able to re-enter the UK because:
- there isn't enough time to get a passport (Fasttrack is not available for first adult passport)
- there probably isn't enough time to get a "Certificate of entitlement to the right of abode"
- we are not sure, but are wondering if her UK Residence permit is no longer valid, now that she is a British Citizen.
Can you advise please?
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.
Yes, she will be able to travel with her infinite leave to remain, she should not have any issues in using this upon her return to the UK.
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

On what basis do you give your reply please?

e.g. do you think her UK Residence Permit is still valid, now that she is a UK citizen?

or what?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes the permit is still valid because she does not yet have her british passport to exercise her right as a British citizen. Therefore there is nothing preventing her from traveling on her indefinite leave to remain and then applying for her passport when she returns..
I hope this clarifies the matter.