12826847

I am seeking guidance as my husband and I are separating.

Customer Question

I am seeking guidance as my husband and I are separating. He is very bitter as I am the one who has left the marriage, but am still nearby and able to look after the teenage children especially when he is away on business. We have two girls aged 14 and 17. He wants to sell up and move nearer London, saying that he will then have custody. I need to know what rights I have - we have a joint mortgage and I am secretary of his company.
Who will the girls wish to stay with?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets are there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

thanks for responding. The girls haven't yet been asked directly who'd they'd wish to stay with. The elder daughter is ready to go anywhere that's convenient for her college and boyfriend. The younger will need to be near her school but my husband is threatening to pull her out to move nearer to London.

The house is worth £850,000 and there is £340,000 left on mortgage. Not much else in assets other than a£7000 VW golf and a £6000 Amazon land cruiser. Furniture etc not of any great value.

How much does a cheaper two bedroom property in the same school area cost to buy?
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been looking at property near the younger child's school and a suitable house can be found 2/3 bedrooms for approx £250,000. I earn approx £15,000 a year (part time) and he earns up to £80,000 p/a.

is there any reason why you cannot work full time?