12826847

I have been diagnosed with COPD since April 2014 after a short

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with COPD since April 2014 after a short illness do I quallify for any sort of benefits as I am now struggling to cope with my part time job of 12 hours a week
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I will wait till you get an answer thank you
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Are you currently working?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes but i have to rely on cover when I can't cope with my condition as I have said it's becoming a real struggle
How much do you earn please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
£76 per week
You do have a claim for PIP as you know. That does take time but it will ultimately be processed.
The question is whether in the meantime you can get top up benefits. This is 12 hours a week so you should be eligible for a proportionately reduced job seekers allowance.
You may also have a claim for housing benefit.
if the position changes for the worse and you do have to give up work then you would have to pursue a PIP, DLA claim etc but that isn't the position at the moment.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So does this mean you can't claim PIP if you work? Are you only able to claim a benefit for COPD if you or your husband are not working?
No, you can.
It is to manage the cost of the disability.
Obviously though if you can work then that gives rise to the inference that the level of care needed is low.