How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69786
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My son 2 weeks ago was arrested for domestic violent against

Customer Question

My son 2 weeks ago was arrested for domestic violent against his ex partner. He is out on bail to report back to the police station next week. His ex now says she wants to retract her statement and drop all charges as it was done in the heat of the moment. The police are telling her to wait, but says they will call on Saturday to take her new statement. Can the police carry on with the charge, even though there is no evidence, even if she drops the charges. Should he have a solicitor with him when he goes back to the police station next week.They have 2 children so ss have been involved but his ex has said she has no fears regarding my son behaviour.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What additional information do you require? Need to know if he can still be charged if his ex drops all charges?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, he can and he probably will.
People waste their time all the time making these reports and then withdrawing. They have long since had a policy of summonsing to court people who do that essentially to make the point that they are not a mediation service. It is nothing to do with your son. When they summons a witness usually it is because they have had enough of the witness using them and wasting their resources.
Yes, you do need a solicitor to attend again and on every occasion. If he has been interviewed already then that was when he really needed a solicitor but the bail back date can be important too.
They might let her withdraw. It depends on her history and how often she has done this. I would brace yourself for this to continue though.
Ultimately if she doesn't come to court then they will have to throw their hand in.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. His ex's mother has made a statement about my son but the police will not tell him what she has said. Can he ask to see this statement, does he have any rights over what is said about him.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
If they are using it to prosecute him then they will have to disclose it in the end.
It will probably be some nonsense about him being abusive for years. It is amazing how they all remember their former partners in hoods chanting Satanic verses when they won't do what they want. I wouldn't worry. They cannot use that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If the case is dropped will my son have a criminal record.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Not if it is dropped.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions