75100385

Carpentry/building work. I am renovating and extending my

Carpentry/building work. I am renovating and extending my property and  have had some troublesome workmen. We have asked a builder to complete certain incomplete portions of the house portico chimney roof for extension underfloor heating and screeding etc. There is no written contract in place. He agreed to do the above jobs but said he could not specify the fees for the job but it won't be much. He has been on site no more than 1 day a week over last 3 months, 2 carpenters have worked 1-2 days a week. plumbers have worked occasional days. most tradesmen arranged by him.He has sent invoices with hourly rates for large sums of money . I have no means to verify that they have worked the number  of hours they claim they have. In fact I have noted that they have been claiming monies for being on a break between 1-2 which wasn't agreed. So far I have paid to ensure the project does complete but things have got out of hand due to infrequent presence of builders and bad carpentry work. Carpenters are very rude and abusive .Today I have asked them to not to return again as their job is finished and they have been invoicing thousands of pounds for hours they haven't been worked. Can I ask an independent surveyor to assess costs of building a roof on an extension, laying underfloor heating and pipes, screeding etc and then offer to pay them a reasonable fee . For future reference Can I ask abusive and rude workmen to leave by property -(I did ask them but they wouldn't leave as they claimed wanted to complete their defective work i.e. wood burner surround made with wood! which was against fire safety regulations ,instead of bricks). They are being paid indirectly through the builder and not directly by me. The builder invoices me and puts in various hours or days they are supposed to have worked

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know what is it you want to achieve?

Customer:

Originally I just wanted them to finish off the work for a reasonable fee. After chasing them and begging them to work for a reasonable fee it appears to me that their intention has been to keep the project going for as long as possible as these jobs could all have been completed in 2weeks once one has reliable workmen. I would like to pay them for what they have worked but don't feel obliged to pay more than 30k for what is a few days.

Customer:

I wish to ensure the invoice si fair and reasonable and not excessive

Alex Watts : Ok. Have you gotten a quote from others to do the work to finish it?
Customer:

I have a quotes showing underfloor heating costs a certain amount and not what has been charged

Customer:

and quotes for plumbing, fireplace etc. I can't think of many jobs that he has done when I try to answer this question . I have quotes for some of the jobs and know that they are excessive

Customer:

what I have been charged by this builder is excessive. He has also invoiced me for goods o which I would presume VAT has already been paid and then added VAT again to charge me twice

Customer:

For example underfloor heating pipes Price £600 when purchased by me(VAT added to price on purchase), Builder would add VAT again when invoicing me-not something I have agreed to but feel helpless to do anything about

Alex Watts : Yes vat would have been paid. So if he purchased for £600 plus vat he would sell to you for £600 plus vat.
Alex Watts : it wouldn't be £600 plus vat then plus vat again
Customer:

ok thank you this explains several of the items on his invoice, I will ask him to deduct these payments.(VAT charred twice).

Customer:

Tjey verbally agreed that they will charge a day rate of £120 per day.

Customer:

They.. once their first invoice arrived several weeks later(only a days work per week). I noted they have charged an hourly rate of £25 including VAT per hour per workman for 8 hours per day.They took an hours break at lunch time 2 other smaller breaks and spent a lot of time on the phone. so number of hours worked per day would have been between 6.5-7 at the most. I don't live on site so this is presuming they arrived on time at 0800 and left at 1600.

Alex Watts :

That is ok - you can ask for copies of timesheets. There must be some records of what they worked and when

Alex Watts :

You can then challenge this.

Alex Watts :

No records means no evidence of work done and time spent

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Customer:

thank you excellent

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience