Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Someone I know has been put in prison for watching illegal

Someone I know has been put in prison for watching illegal pornography. How can I ensure that I'm safe? Do the websites/search engines that produce this type of content go through any checks or security to ensure safety? What if I'm not safe?
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Alex Hughes : My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
Alex Hughes : Why do you think your safety is an issue?
Customer:

Because I do not trust the websites that I occasionally visit.

Alex Hughes : Do you mean you have been watching porn and you're worried the police will investigate you?
Customer:

Yes, I am strongly against illegal types of pornography and I do not want to be charged with something that I have not done.

Alex Hughes : So long as you have not visited such websites and viewed or downloaded illegal images then you will not be prosecuted.
Alex Hughes : I am not a website or IP expert so I cannot tell you how that side of things work.
Alex Hughes : But from a legal point of view a prosecution will only be started if there is proof that you have downloaded/viewed/made illegal images.
Customer:

I'm pretty sure I'm okay I just wanted to double check. Also what is the legal term for 'download'?

Alex Hughes : There is no legal definition of "download" so the ordinary meaning of the word would apply.
Customer:

Okay well to my first question, do the websites often used protect their users and go through proper procedures to ensure that nothing illegal is shown? Otherwise how are we supposed to know?

Customer:

?

Alex Hughes : I can't answer that question bearing in mind there are so many IPs and website. But the law does place a responsibility on the user to ensure that he is not viewing illegal material. Something's will be fairly obvious e.g. images of children but others will be more obscure such as animal and extreme hardcore. But ultimately if you have been watching mainstream porn then it shouldn't be a problem.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.