75100385

Hello, I have received a letter from my residents association

I have received a letter from my residents association committee, stating that I have been refused membership of the residents association for the following reasons:
Quote: "The reasons for this refusal are your abusive and disruptive behaviour at the AGM last year along with the libellous remarks you made about various people at that meeting".
This is completely without foundation & only I have been singled out from what was a very 'lively' meeting, where views were made very strongly by many of the members!
I complained to the committee and requested a retraction of the letter along with an unreserved apology. This has been refused & I received an amended letter which now only contains the word 'disruptive'. I see this as an admission of their wrongdoing.
I cannot allow this to stand & wish to see this through as my reputation & standing in our community is being maligned.
Whilst there is a lot more to the events leading up to this, could you please tell me where I stand on this & what my next step should be?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know what is it you would like to achieve?

Customer:

Customer:

Sorry, didn't get the system so I'll start again. What I'd like to achieve is a full retraction of both letters & an unreserved written apology from the residents association committee.

Alex Watts :

Ok and if you dont are you prepared to go to Court?

Customer:

yes I am

Alex Watts :

OK, if you are seeking libel then its High Court proceedings and a contested trial will be circa £15,000

Alex Watts :

You wont get legal aid for this.

Alex Watts :

This is because of a recent change in the law. You would also have to show that you have suffered serious harm as a result of this.

Alex Watts :

There is one more cost effective option

Alex Watts :

That is to get a local Solicitor to write a letter and ask them to retract.

Alex Watts :

This may cost you £150 or so for an initial meeting and letter

Alex Watts :

But if they do not then the only option is to issue proceedings in the High Court.

Alex Watts :

Sadly that is expensive as you can imagine. If you lose you may also be liable for their legal costs as well, so the potential exposure is £30,000

Alex Watts :

So my advice would be to get a local Solicitor to write a letter.

Alex Watts :

It is more cost effective.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

I had expected your answer & I will approach a solicitor asap.

Customer:

I thank you for your answer & I think that I have all I need.

Customer:

Thank you &kind regards

Alex Watts :

Great. Can I help with anything else today?

Customer:

No thanks, ***** ***** I'll hit the ratings buttons & say Goodbye.

Alex Watts :

Thanks. If I could ask you to give me a positive rating - the button is at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

Have a good weekend

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply