75100385

I want to defend my son-in-law over a traffic offence. His

I want to defend my son-in-law over a traffic offence. His case will be in the Magistrates Court. Is that allowable and is there a book I should study in preparation? Second, the case is where the police officer alleges my son-in-law was not in a position to be in proper control of my vehicle. Where can I study decisions that legal point so I can have a good idea of case law? Do I have to go to a Magistrates Court and read the decisions, or can I read them on line?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this,
Alex Watts : Sadly you have no right of audience,
Alex Watts : Only a solicitor or barrister can represent, you can only act as a Mckenzie friend giving support
Alex Watts : the practice book is Wilkinsons Road Traffic offences,
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you are after and certainly not the one you want but I have a duty to be honest
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

Alex, Thanks for the reply and information. I now understand the 'Mackenzie friend' principle, after finding the 2010 guidance of 2010 on the web.

Customer:

However, in order to assist my son-in-law, I need to get access to cases, but cannot afford £300 on Amazon! It appears justice comes at a cost. This offence is not very new, so I probably don't necessarily need absolutely up-to-date material. Also Wilkinson's appears to have 2 volumes, I imagine I only need one, but don't know which one. Could you look on Amazon and point me to the cheapest appropriate second hand one? Or perhaps are they at a public library? And a final option: can I subscribe to a on-line database which has the same material, perhaps at a cheaper cost. Many thanks.

Alex Watts :

You would need Volume I

Alex Watts :

You may be able to subscribe to something like Lexis Library, that will probably have it

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer:

Alex, That doesn't help unfortunately. I have tried to find the volume I in a public library, but there are none in Oxford. Can you advise a public library in Reading or London which has the volume? With regard to Lexis, I don't think I will want to try that on the basis that they probably have a case library. Can you say more definitely where I can search road traffic cases on line? Many thanks, Mike

Alex Watts :

I can't say where the book will be, probably a university.

Alex Watts :

All I can say is which book you need.

Alex Watts :

Sadly online there are only legal practice websites such as that which I have given you

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify?