13262538

Just split with my partner of 31 years he went off with our

Customer Question

Just split with my partner of 31 years he went off with our ex neighbour after playing around for the last four years I don't have dependent children my youngest is 22 years old and lives with me I work full time my son par time we have a joint mortgage my ex said he don't want to sell the house as its paid for in three years and I can live in it and he will continue with mortgage. I don't really want that and just wanted 2 know cause we weren't married will the split only be fifty fifty because I couldn't afford to buy anywhere else he takes home 3 times as much as me . Can he be made to sell and is split always awarded fifty fifty in cases like this
How much is the property worth and are there any other joint assets?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The property is worth about 340 thousand the mortgage on the property is 54 thousand our first property cost us 45 thousand and 13 thousand that we used as a deposit was awarded to me as I was a council tenant it was a scheme called assisted private purchase.we do not have any other joint assets
Did your ex acknowledge that you have made that extra capital contribution?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No he said it was awarded to us both and the council records don't go bk that far
How long were you living together in that property - and how long had you lived there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We lived in that property from about April 1993 then we moved to this one in June 1999 until present time
How long did YOU live in the council property without your ex?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No we was in it together all the time we had our first child but the tenancy was mine because we were not married
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Just want some answers to the questions I posted
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
My apologies for the delay.
We are all working lawyers and have the usual weekend chores to do
I am afraid that the news is not good.
Since you both lived in the property for the same amount of time you cannot argue that the "deposit" came from you.
On that basis I am afraid that since you were never married to each other you are only entitled to 50% of the equity unless you have evidence that he ever promised you a larger share.
However if you wish to force a sale of the property you can do so as soon as you wish - if he will not agree then you can apply to the court - and claim the costs if necessary
Please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
I am not sure what further information you require - but if you could clarify that I will do my best to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That was sent earlier yesterday before I got your reply back
That is fine - if there is anything else just ask