How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11876
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

my father has died and i am the executor. he has a share certificate

This answer was rated:

my father has died and i am the executor. he has a share certificate in his name . how can i get this transferred to my name and how much will it cost. his estate amounted to 10,000 between me and my three brothers. the shares are 800 and currently valued at 119.90. or can we just arrange to sell them. we have the will and death certificate. we were advised by a solicitor that he could do it for £500 but that wouldnt be worth while.
Thank you for your question.
You as executor can execute a Stock Transfer Form transferring the shares from you as executor to you as an individual. You then apply to whoever administers the shares and they will send a form for completion and return along with the share certificate which will be returned in your name.
Alternatively you can ask the registrar for a form to enable the shares to be sold and the monies transferred to the estate.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you