31090051

My daughter was dating a New Zealand man,they went to NZ to

My daughter was dating a New Zealand man,they went to NZ to visit his family, his mother paid for their flights as a gift. However now that they have broken up and 8 months after the trip his mother is threatening legal action if my daughter does not repay the cost of the flight. No mention of it being anything other than a gift was made at the time and there is no written agreement in existence
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
There is no legal basis for this claim. If the flight was gifted and not conditional on any factor any claim she makes through a court will fail. This seems to be "sour grapes" and she should ignore the threats.
A gift is a unilateral contract. In other words it is given without obligation on the part of the recipient.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.