75100385

I am a sole trader (not a Limited Company) and I am retiring

I am a sole trader (not a Limited Company) and I am retiring and closing my business. I wish to cancel a waste disposal contract which still has 11 months to run and the supplier says that I am responsible for the entire amount due. I've been told that as a private individual the maximum penalty is only 3 months. Can you confirm if this is correct or am I liable for the entire amount. Thanks
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know what the contract says about termination and whether you signed up for a 12 month term?

Customer:

Thanks for your reply. The contract is an on-going one started in 2011 and has an annual roll-over arrangement but looking again at the cancellation clause it appears to say that I must give 3 months notice which is contrary to what they are now stating. Can I hold on my question to you until I speak to them again and clarify this. I will let you know what their answer is.

Alex Watts :

Yes of course. The notice period should be 3 months, if that is what the contract says

Customer:

Thanks for your help. It was a bit more involved than I thought but we have reached a compromise on the notice period. Regards

Alex Watts :

Great. It would have been 3 months.

Alex Watts :