13262538

I have not written a will and I am not on my son's birth certificate

Customer Question

I have not written a will and I am not on my son's birth certificate although he has my last name hyphenated with his mothers . (her name - my name.)
Everyone including family and friends know that he is my son but nothing is written down. He is now in his late twenties . What would happen in the case of my death with no will. I have never been married. I have no other children. My parents are dead. I have 2 brothers one of which I wish to inherit nothing. Would my son inherit? (Which is what I want to happen.)
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
If this is what you wish to happen then you need to make a Will stating it as otherwise your son will have t prove that he is your son in order to receive the estate.
If you die without a Will then the Intestacy rules will apply - and whilst your son could receive the entire estate if he is not able to prove his parentage then it will divided between your siblings
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details