Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I was dismissed last week and at the dismissal they agreed

I was dismissed last week and at the dismissal they agreed (verbally) to waive any re-payment of my re-location package without any conditions but they have now said if I make any comments to people in the business about my dismissal that they will reclaim the costs. I did make some relatively innocuous comments on a private message and they have got this and are saying it is 'Serious' like they are trying to change there minds. There was a week between the verbal agreement and this letter can they effectively back date this restriction?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Are you saying that you made the comments before you were aware that the offer not to reclaim the money was made?

Customer:

Yes, They didn't give me any terms I had to adhere to they just said I didn't have to pay the money back. then I made soem comments - nothing bad - now they are saying they will not left me off in all likelyhood as they have now (a week later) introduced a new condition.

taratill :

Hi well contractually you are correct that you should not have to repay them as you were not aware at the time that this was subject to a condition. However the problem might be in proving what was orally agreed. They might say that they told you in the meeting and unless there is a written record it might be difficult to prove other wise.

taratill :

I would suggest you respond by the letter by acknowledging it and saying that now you have been told not to you will not make any further comments but as you were not aware at the time the comments were made you are not contractually obliged to repay.

taratill :

Hopefully that will lead them to refrain from asking you to pay it back.

taratill :

If you have any further questions about this please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

Customer:

Thanks that is what I thought too.